Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Seeking party-planning advice for Project Ace

------ This first part's a little sad -------

Ten years ago this September I was a 3rd-year undergrad student at the University of Victoria with two part-time jobs, one at the Bottle Depot counting pop cans and crushing glass, the other pouring coffee at the Blenz on Broughton St. One Tuesday afternoon I was an hour into a closing shift at Blenz (4-11pm) when my sister's roommate Cara popped in. I remember bright sunshine, a strong, slightly stale coffee smell and Cara telling me I had to call home immediately. When I did I found out my dad had been killed earlier that day in a helicopter crash.

Years later, I still feel the loss of my dad. Most days the pain sits as a dull ache that goes unnoticed but on occasion and without notice flairs up to be as raw, crippling and mentally-unbearable as on that first day. I know that you never truly stop grieving; how I feel likely strikes a chord if you've ever lost someone close to you. Until recently, though, I didn't realize that I now tend to think of Dad only in terms of what I've lost in my life rather than what I gained: pleasant thoughts now tinged with sadness, like happy memories viewed through a blue-tinted lens. A real bummer. I'd like to change this perspective.

------ sad part over -----

So I'm thinking, what better way to kick-off an attitude adjustment than to do something that celebrates Dad's life rather than mourns his death. The "something" is where I need advice.

What I'd like to do is throw a party in my hometown of Comox, B.C. on or around Aug. 28th, my dad's birthday. A reunion of sorts where friends, family, anyone who knew Dad from his various hobbies and community work  – R/C modelling, local politics, the Air Force Museum – can informally get together and catch-up with each other.  I'd like to hold it outdoors, maybe rent the picnic pavilion at Kin Beach or Air Force Beach so we could host a big bbq and hang out on the beach for the afternoon/evening. I really have no idea how many people would attend, but I'd like to advertise it as a community event rather than keep it by invitation only. Also, this wouldn't be a memorial, no sombre speeches or plaque dedications...a fun event, not a funeral.

In my head I'm calling this "Project Ace" because Dad was a pilot and his nickname was, I kid you not, "Ace". Right now Project Ace is stuck in planning limbo because a) I have no sense whether this is a good idea and little experience planning community-level events, and b) I'm terrified that no one would attend. I could really use some feedback on the following points:

Interest: Would you attend a party such as the one described above? Would you expect there to be concrete activities like, I don't know, games or speeches (even though I don't want speeches, would people expect one?). Do I need to worry about getting people to mingle? I could plan activities, I'm just not sure which would be fun. Do you have any other ideas for celebratory events?

Planning:  Have you ever organized community-wide event where you didn't know who might attend? How did you start planning for that? What are the major items to consider? I think I'd like to sell food and drinks, but people could bring their own as well.

How do you celebrate the lives of your loved ones? I'm way out of my comfort zone with this project; any advice or shared stories are a great help and much appreciated!

 Ace and his little red helicopter

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of celebrating Dad in a way that was him; bonfires, beaches, beers, food, friends, closing it out by shooting fireworks out into the night sky at Kye Bay. Some of my fondest memories of Dad, well, of all of us as a family were out July 1st parties. It would be amazing if we could recreate those days again :)

    Also, please know that all of us are here to help in any way possible! I really love and admire you for planning out this reunion, and I am truly looking forward to just seeing everyone again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever you end up doing, I'm in. I love Meghan's comments - the idea of celebrating with a beach bonfire and good company, recreating some of your July 1st memories would be lovely. Fiacre and I camped at Kin beach a couple years ago on our "honeymoon" camping trip and I loved how it felt exactly the same as it did when I was a kid. Let me know what I can do to help. Proud of you for working on this idea :)

    ReplyDelete